Blue Band is open to all students registered at the University Park campus by audition. Accepting 290–310 student members annually, the Blue Band is a select ensemble with talented musicians and band front performers auditioning in all sections. All prospective members, new and returning, must audition each year for membership; not everyone who auditions is accepted.
Planning to audition?
Here's a checklist to follow to register for and complete your Blue Band audition:
- File the online Intent to Audition form — either instrumentalist, percussionist, majorette, silk or Feature Twirler. (For Drum Major or Feature Twirler audition information, please see their respective pages.) All prospective new and returning Blue Band members must file an Intent to Audition form so that the band office can effectively plan arrival day and band camp activities. For instrumentalists, percussionists, and silks, the administrative deadline for filing your Intent to Audition form is July 31, 2017. If you miss this date, please contact the Blue Band office immediately by calling (814) 865-3982.
- If you are a prospective majorette, your audition will be held on Sunday, March 12, 2017. For more information regarding majorette auditions, click here.
- Prospective silks are encouraged — but not required — to attend the band front clinic in Saturday, April 22, 2017. More information is available here.
- Schedule MUSIC 081 — Marching Blue Band when you register for Fall classes. The Fall 2017 schedule number for Blue Band has not yet been published.
- Prepare for your audition. For more information regarding instrumentalist auditions, click here.
- Expect a mailing from the Blue Band during or around the week of August 1, 2017 with arrival and move-in information.
- Arrive on campus between 8 am and noon for auditions and band camp. Band camp is scheduled to begin on August 15, 2017. Returning members will audition on August 16, 2017. Note: Do not contact the Housing department regarding early move-in to residence halls. By filing your Intent to Audition form, you will be automatically registered for an early arrival.
Where are auditions/band camp?
Blue Band Building (map)
Services Road & University Drive
University Park Campus (campus map)
Pennsylvania State University
Band camp information
Band camp for prospective new members is scheduled to begin on August 15, 2017. The schedule will be posted soon. Arrive at the Blue Band Building between 8 am and noon to check in and sign up for an audition time slot. Note: Other than the time you will need to warm up and perform a playing audition, you will not have any other band activities that afternoon until 7:30 pm.
Note regarding early residence hall room availability
If you fill out an Intent to Audition form, and you have a housing contract for Fall 2017, you will be able to check-in to your campus room on August 15, 2017. You will need to get a check-in permission form from the Blue Band Office before checking in at your residence area commons desk.