Blue Band is open to all students registered at the University Park campus. Accepting 290–320 student members annually, the Blue Band is a select ensemble with talented musicians and band front performers auditioning in all sections. All prospective members, new and returning, must audition each year for membership; not everyone who auditions is accepted.
If you have any questions please contact Blue Band Administrative Assistant Wanda Hockenberry at 814-865-3982.
Planning to Audition?
Here's a checklist to follow to register for and complete your Blue Band audition:
- File the online Intent to Audition form — All prospective new and returning Blue Band members must file an Intent to Audition form so that the band office can effectively plan arrival day and band camp activities.
- Schedule MUSIC 081 — Marching Blue Band when you register for Fall classes.
- Prepare for your audition. For more information regarding instrumentalist auditions, click here.
- Expect an email from the Blue Band Office in late July, with arrival, move-in, and Band camp information.
- Arrive on campus between 8 am and noon for auditions and band camp.
- Note: Do not contact the Housing department regarding early move-in to residence halls. By filing your Intent to Audition form, you will be automatically registered for an early arrival.
Band Camp and Audition Information
Auditions will run Monday, August 19th thru Wednesday, August 21st and Band Camp begins Thursday, August 22nd. Arrive at the Blue Band Building between 8:00am and 12:00pm to check in and sign up for an audition time slot on the 19th. Please see the Band Camp Schedule for more details.
Note: Other than the time you will need to warm up and perform a playing audition, you will not have any other band activities that afternoon until 7:30 pm.
Where are Auditions/Band Camp?
O. Richard Bundy Blue Band Building
Services Road & University Drive
University Park Campus (campus map)
Pennsylvania State University
Note: Regarding Early Residence Hall Room Availability
If you fill out an Intent to Audition form, and you have a housing contract for Fall 2019, you will be able to check-in to your campus room Monday, August 19th beginning at 8:00am.