Blue Band is open to all students registered at the University Park campus. Accepting 290–320 student members annually, the Blue Band is a select ensemble with talented musicians and band front performers auditioning in all sections. All prospective members, new and returning, must audition each year for membership; not everyone who auditions is accepted.
If you have any questions please contact Blue Band Administrative Assistant Wanda Hockenberry at 814-865-3982.
Planning to audition?
Here's a checklist to follow to register for and complete your Blue Band audition:
- File the online Intent to Audition form — All prospective new and returning Blue Band members must file an Intent to Audition form so that the band office can effectively plan arrival day and band camp activities.
- Schedule MUSIC 081 — Marching Blue Band when you register for Fall classes.
- Prepare for your audition. For more information regarding instrumentalist auditions, click here.
- Expect an email from the Blue Band Office in late July, with arrival, move-in, and Band camp information.
- Arrive on campus between 8 am and noon for auditions and band camp.
- Note: Do not contact the Housing department regarding early move-in to residence halls. By filing your Intent to Audition form, you will be automatically registered for an early arrival.
Where are Auditions/Band camp?
O. Richard Bundy Blue Band Building
Services Road & University Drive
University Park Campus (campus map)
Pennsylvania State University
Band camp information
Band camp for prospective new members begins Monday, August 19th. Arrive at the Blue Band Building between 8:00am and 12:00pm to check in and sign up for an audition time slot.
Note: Other than the time you will need to warm up and perform a playing audition, you will not have any other band activities that afternoon until 7:30 pm.
Note: Regarding Early Residence Hall Room Availability
If you fill out an Intent to Audition form, and you have a housing contract for Fall 2019, you will be able to check-in to your campus room Monday, August 19th beginning at 8:00am.